Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Works For Me Wednesday.....

I'm once again joining in Works for Me Wednesday hosted by Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer. You can go over there each week and see links to many posts with great tips, or try to post one of your own next week.

My boys are only 5 and 3 and already birthday parties are becoming ridiculous. Here at Team R. we do not "go overboard" when it comes to birthday parties- we decide ahead of time how much money we will be spending on the birthday (to include party and gift) and then decide where we will have the celebration and how many kids will come. The problem usually lies in the goody bags. Man can they be expensive. The last two years we have come up with a great and inexpensive way to solve the expense of the goody bag (plus....who needs more candy in their house right!) The first year (this only works because Jr. spaceman's birthday is in Dec.) we ordered a bunch of ornaments from oriental trading and with a sharpie wrote each child's name on the ornament....quick- easy and cost us less than $1 per guest......The next year we were a bit more technically advanced (well, my husband was!) We downloaded about 10 songs (kid friendly) from ITunes and copied them onto CD's (completely legal!)- Each song was 99 cents. I think you are allowed to copy each song 6 times so you may have to pay for the same song twice....or download a bunch of different songs so each kid gets a slightly different CD....which is helpful if you have a broad age range.....there are lots of songs from favorite movies/cartoons/kids bop......Laurie Berkner is a favorite in this house and she has a bunch of CD's available on ITunes.....I believe that birthday party was less than $2 a kid for the goody bag....hope this helps...It worked for me!

14 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, Blogger Amy said...

Great ideas! We did coloring books & crayons one year (perfect for keeping little hands busy at church). This year we are having a McDonald's party and the goodie bags are included- no stress this year! :) I will keep the iTunes idea in mind though! Thank you!

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Nettie said...

Great ideas! I like the cd idea, especially!

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Very creative! Thanks for the ideas.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Mama Duck said...

Mix CD - what a great idea!!

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Julie @ Creating This Life said...

Great, great ideas. I hate those party bags too. Usually they come home with just a bunch of junk.

 
At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great tips! Thanks for both of them.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger T.S. Eliot said...

Thanks for the tips! My Elijah will be one in 2 months, and I've already started planning his party... I hadn't even thought of party favors. Yikes!

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Shalee said...

Really helpful ideas! I hate that goodie bags are expected, though. What happened to the treat being that you got to go to a party? I'm must be an old fuddy duddy who is cheap to the core.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger TheNormalMiddle said...

Birthday parties CAN get ridiculous. I'm always embarassed when my child goes to a birthday party and the treatbag she gets is more expensive than the gift she gave. We use the dollar tree for cheap gifts usually....

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Shhhhhhhh! said...

What great ideas. Fortunately I don't really have to worry much about B-day parties. We only have them for the special ages like 8, 12, 16, and 18. I think I will try the CD one for the teen parties.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Bethany said...

Hey, burning CD's is a great idea!! Wow. I love itunes!!

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Great ideas. My kids bdays are in Oct or Nov so that plus Christmas really hits the budget hard.

Plus the usual goodie bag stuff just ends up in the trash after a few weeks anyways. What a waste.

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger Beck said...

The mixed CD idea is a lot of fun. My kids not only have birthday parties, they also have HOLIDAY SPECIFIC parties, because we're nuts and like throwing little kid parties. Oh, and Popular Oldest Child goes to about 3 birthday parties a month... so we're always on the lookout for new and cheap present and gift bag ideas! Great tips!

 
At 1:52 AM, Blogger owlhaven said...

Sounds like a lot of fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home