Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Saturday, June 17, 2006

I'm not lucky.....

After reading Mary's post today about marriage it reminded me of how often I hear "how lucky I am" in regards to my marriage and my husband. My husband does a lot around our house. He is a true partner in this marriage. It is not beneath him to do a load of laundry or to take the kids with him on an errand or to even take a day off from work if he see's that "I need a day". His Mom raised him right.
But still, I am not lucky.
I was lucky the day I won a VCR. I was lucky the day my engagement ring fell off of my hand and I heard the ping. But my marriage.....I am not lucky. My husband and I take full credit (and of course God too!)
Mary points out that the success is in recognizing the importance of the little things. She is so right. My husband and I do not take expensive vacations. We do not even get to go on dates as often as we'd like. We do not spend tons of money on gifts for each other. We do, however, make time everyday to show gratitude. We make an effort to greet each other every morning and every evening when he comes home from work. He makes sure the coffee is made in the morning and I make sure dinner is hot and ready when he comes home from work. We touch. I can't pass him in the hallway without a slap on the hand (or bum!). We hug. We hug a lot. We do not leave the house without a kiss or an I love you. I overlook his shoes NOT on the shoe rack and he forgives me for not emptying my pockets before I put my pants in the laundry. I lovingly put the toilet seat down before I use the bathroom and he smiles as he reorganizes the pantry after I put the grocery's away. He now joins in as we sing the grocery list and I've learned to love science fiction.
His flaws are now endearing. My flaws would be the first thing he'd miss if I were gone. We make a conscience choice everyday to make today better than yesterday. Most days we are successful- some days we vow to do better. Either way, we are not lucky.
check out Mary's post....she says it perfectly http://largerfamilies.blogspot.com/2006/06/watermelon-coffee-and-waikiki.html

1 Comments:

At 2:59 AM, Blogger owlhaven said...

Hey, thanks for the mention and the link-- I think this is the one you meant to link to
Thanks again!
Mary

 

Post a Comment

<< Home