Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Friday, May 26, 2006

And Mother of the Year Is.......

not me! My boys are in swimming lessons. H is in a mommy and me class and has actually done quite well considering for the first 2.5 years of his life he was landlocked and the only body of water he new was the tub. X on the other hand has a small phobia for anything above his shoulders going under water. I "knew" session 1 was going to be tough for him. and parts of it were. There were some tears, some "I don't want to's", and lots of bathroom breaks during class. We did have a break through during week 2 when he learned (and rather enjoyed) to use the kickboard. He then even began blowing bubbles and would (while plugging his nose) dunk his face under.
I was not bothered by his fear. I knew that if he stuck with it and was exposed to water on a regular basis he'd be fine and maybe by next summer would be swimming. X is one of those kids that doesn't have to work at much. Most things come very easy to him. He taught himself to read last year, he learned to ride a two wheeler at age 4 with only a 20 minute verbal lesson from his dad- things just come easy to him. So I was happy that this was going to take time- he was going to get a great life lesson here- learn the value of practice, building up his confidence...blah blah blah.
So when I realized that wed. would be "test" day I prepped X. I told him that he has learned a lot and everyone can't be good at everything. It was okay if he had to repeat level 1- he'd get a certificate of participation- not a level card to move up. you know- prepped him for not passing! Yesterday they received their cards- can you believe that little stinker passed! Yup- he is in level 2 next session.
So WHY do I not get mother of the year award you ask.........all of my prepping has scared him- he doesn't want to go to level 2- he says he is not ready- "you even said so Mama". Great, NOW you listen to me?

1 Comments:

At 3:27 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

It just goes to show ya that they ARE always listening!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home